Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ApacheCon EU Day 0

Travel

I left Phoenix mid-morning Sunday for a short hop to Houston and then a long leg over to Amsterdam. Last year I flew through Newark, which split the trip into 5 and 7 hour flights. I prefer this year's itinerary, which was 2 and 10. I'd rather get all the changing planes and running through airports over with, and just relax. Heading out of Phoenix, the flight was over-sold and I didn't get a seat assignment until they were halfway through boarding. I had only 40 minutes to connect in Houston, and of course they moved the departure gate to E20 which is the farthest possible gate out in the corner of the terminal. Luckily, the arrival gate changed to E12 instead of the original C gate, so instead of being a dash across the entire airport, it was just around the corner and down the hall. I had been worried about having so little time, and indeed they were already boarding when I got to the gate, but we ended up being delayed, apparently waiting for a small group to arrive from another connection. The flight to Amsterdam was not full, and there was plenty of room to spread out and relax.

[updated: empty post earlier due to blogspot.com + Safari problem -- pasted text displays at the bottom of the page rather than in the box.]

No comments: